Monday, October 3, 2011

Nightmare Fuel, Day 3

I know.  I'm not writing for every prompt.  I apologize.  But some days it is easier than others to find the time to write something.  So, I'll tell you which day's prompt inspired each blurb and probably set up a link back to the original prompt.  Without further ado, my first Nightmare.


Distant rumbling is the first sign that today is not like any other. I do not want to wake. Until Mother comes in, I do not have to. Finally, a sharp jolt pulls me from dreams into wakefulness. My bed at home never jolted. Why am I in a wooden box? It is lined with bedding and curtains on one side that swayed with movement of the box. It is moving, slowly. Crawling toward the curtain, my hand stops on a cool stem. I look down to see a lovely red flower. I have never seen one like it before, but it is beautiful. I suppose I should keep it. Just as I reach the curtains, the box stops moving. I open the curtains to find the forest. So sad, I let out a little whimper. The forest is a long way from home. I want Mother. Where is she? The horse snorts. I should find the driver and ask him to take me home. I climb down from the box, still in my night gown. Looking up at my box, I notice there is no driver. I am alone. I sit down to begin crying in earnest until I hear a faint noise from further along the road. Is that someone coming? They will help me. I barely notice the horse trying to back away; I just want not to be alone. I walk further up the road until I hear the sound again, this time from the left. I get out a scream as the teeth descend, ending it all.


Prompt here

No comments:

Post a Comment